We are always hearing about Leadership and being a Leader but what exactly does that mean? How can you consciously be a Leader? I’ve set out what I believe are 9 ways to be a Leader whether you are working in a corporation or in your own business.
- FIGURE OUT WHO YOU ARE, what you stand for, where you are now and where you are headed.
You must understand who you are before you can decide who you want to be. It’s not who you think you are that may be holding you back, it’s who you think you are NOT. Figure out exactly where you are right now, where you want to go and how to get there. Understand what your strengths are and be frank with yourself about your weaknesses and your limitations. Then enlist other people to help you where you have limitations or weaknesses. Strive for your own personal meaning of balance with work and life. Maintain your personal morals, values, ethics, and health so you can hold yourself to high standards of integrity. Unleash the leader within you, taking control of your future. steering it purposefully in the direction you want to go. CREATE YOUR OWN LIFE – Don’t let life just happen to you.
- LISTEN with more than just your ears. Be a laser sharp listener to peoples’ words and expressions. Act as if the person speaking to you is the only person in the whole world for that moment. This kind of focus is not only unforgettable but impactful. Listen with your heart, as well as your head to build lasting relationships, strengthening your circle of influence and always look for ways to help others around you to grow along the way.
- COMMUNICATE with passion and truth, in writing and in-person. Leaders who communicate are masters at not only talking. Learn to deliver a speech powerful enough to inspire an entire auditorium, as well as writing in a way that motivates others to action through your words and spirit. Strive to negotiate the best possible outcomes for all involved. Communicate with conviction, passion and compassion and with truth. Take the high road at all times, avoiding negative talk. Above all, always do what you say you will do. And develop a sense of humor if you don’t already have one!
- CARE. Real leaders care about others, not just themselves. If you don’t truly care about others, find a way to genuinely develop this trait. Genuine care emanates from every breathe you take and every word you utter. Generosity cannot be faked. Share information freely whenever you can and develop an openness and generosity towards others. Be the big you. Not the small one. We are all the Star of our own lives, so allow others to be the Star of their lives without intruding on it and honoring their equal importance.
- CONNECT to your peers, your industry, and everything around you. You cannot excel without a strong understanding of the world you live in – the people you work with/for and the industry you work in. Immerse yourself in the economics and business practices that affect your company, clients, and colleagues. Be aware and alert to your competition and strive to be a step ahead. Build a support system for yourself and for those within your community. Great leaders get connected and nurture their connections, using every bit of information to their advantage and without taking anything for granted. Appreciate other people – their time, effort and energy and any part of their precious lives they share with you.
- BE COURAGEOUS and confident in your convictions as you take risks and elevate others. To be a great leader, you need to look fear in the eye and drag it behind you as you take action, forging ahead into the unknown. Don’t surrender or give up. Commit to your vision and believe in it. Others will sense your unwavering conviction and will be willing to follow – inspired to befriend their fears as well. Have discipline and keep working towards where you want to go.
- BE A CATALYST. Progress is never made by standing still or by accepting how things have always been done. As a leader, dare to transform your industry with innovative concepts that are bigger and better than before. Take initiative. Raise the bar. Add even more value. Demand equality and diversity on all fronts. Above all, never accept a lack of respect for yourself or others, because positive change can only happen if it is grounded in respect. And if you do not respect yourself, others never will.
- INSPIRE and others will follow. Inspire those around you to support and share in your vision. Be a mentor, guide, role model and practice what you preach. Help those around you achieve their full potential and to pave the way for their leadership as well. Be magnanimous. Be dynamic, strong and develop GRIT. You will inspire others to embrace your vision or be bold enough to create their own and to commit with their whole hearts.
- Have fun! Success is not worth it if it doesn’t add joy to your life and to the lives of those around you.
What are some other ways to Leadership? Comment below and join in the conversation.
To your success,